Monday, August 29, 2005

Dreams


I love dreams, the incongruity, objects and situations juxtaposed in bizarre ways. Unexpected improbability, illogical situations.
Last week I dreamed that I was exiting some official looking building in an unfamiliar city and noticed what appeared to be a homeless man lounging in the street and using the curb as a pillow. But he seemed content and had next to him a mother cat, and her kittens were sprawled on and playing about him. He looked exactly like John Cleese (but in a raggedy outfit). I approached him and started to say, 'are you....'. He interrupted me with a smile and said, 'I know, everyone mistakes me for John Cleese'. Then I crouched down next to him and played with the kittens for a while. Next thing I knew I was holding either a newspaper or a bulletin of some sort and the headline was something like 'Jaimie W. rescues her 7th John Cleese look-alike vagabond this week!' In the dream there was no 'rescue' that I could recall.
Then I woke up.
Well who knows where this came from. I never think about John Cleese and I certainly have no desire to see my name in headlines.

I just find it so interesting where the subconscious may take us when we sleep.
I had no hope of adequately illustrating that dream and doing it justice so I'm submitting a collage that somewhat demonstrates my sense of dreams. Things that one would not see in waking life, but may appear perfectly normal while asleep, like an okapi standing next to a Wurlitzer jukebox.

The Okapi and palm tree are from a copper etching print I did some years ago. The jukebox was drawn with water soluble colored pencils.

9 Comments:

At August 29, 2005 10:51 PM, Blogger Anonymous said...

Your enlarged image of this is wonderful! I enjoy your collages very much :)

 
At August 30, 2005 5:46 AM, Blogger PaintMonster said...

yes wonderful colors!
and nice drawing style!

 
At August 30, 2005 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! Thou I really wish that Mr. Cleese had made a cameo appearance!!! Maybe next time! Hurrah for okapis!!!

 
At August 30, 2005 4:15 PM, Blogger carla said...

What a fascinating dream! Your illustration is very beautiful...I like the combination of collage and paint. It works so effectively here, and the colors are delicious.

 
At August 30, 2005 11:39 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

The okapi is a nice touch. Great job!

 
At August 31, 2005 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! So you DO have celebrity dreams once in a while!

Cool picture, I love the colors of the juke box.

-Sally

 
At September 01, 2005 11:00 AM, Blogger er!ca said...

woooow! nice techniques... cant fathom how u did unique works!

thanks for commenting on mine ;)

 
At September 01, 2005 3:30 PM, Blogger Aravis said...

This was very cool!

 
At September 14, 2005 3:28 PM, Blogger Catnapping said...

your use of colours blows me away. beautiful work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed